As the year is coming to an end, more and more PR students are starting to seriously think about their PR dissertations to finish their degrees.
I've been getting a lot of emails from PR students requesting ideas for dissertations over the past three weeks.
Now, I understand it's probably difficult to come up with a relevant and interesting topic but I always advise students to follow their passions - what is it really that you are interested in? What did you like the most during the past few years of studying? Surely, there must have been something that you have really enjoyed.
So start there - with your interests.
Then move onto the trends in the industry. Do some research. Figure out what other PR professionals are talking and worrying about. Find the opportunities of the future. Google is your best friend here.
After these two steps, just see where your interests and the industry trends collide.
There you have it!
Still, I'll help you with the second part a bit just as I did two years ago. Below you can find 10 more public relations dissertation topics based on what I see happening in the industry.
10 More Public Relations Dissertations Topics
- The role of video in PR and what video content means for PR professionals
- Is social and native advertising disrupting PR?
- Artificial intelligence and PR: Do they have anything in common?
- PR measurement in the digital age and the blurring lines between marketing and PR
- How is internal communications changing in the digital age?
- How can PR stay relevant within an ever-changing media landscape?
- Continuing education in PR: does it work today, what does it look like tomorrow?
- Politics and PR: Where is this going after Brexit and Trump?
- Why does PR have a problem with diversity?
- Women in PR: only at the bottom, not at the top of the leadership chain. Why?
Books can give you a lot of inspiration too.
For example, take a look at the first and the second editions of FuturePRoof. The books explore the PR discipline through essays written by global PR professionals.
Each essay focuses on a particular issue which you could choose to explore even further with an entire dissertation.
So what are you going to write your dissertation about?
Ready to start working on your PR dissertation now that you have a topic? Get the plan checklist to help you get started below for free!